With an autumn chill in the air, and plenty of golden leaves at our feet, the mind naturally wanders to comfort food. In my mind, this means pie!
I know that making pie dough is terribly intimidating to some, but I’m here to squash those fears. Once you have this simple dough recipe mastered, you’ll be baking up both savoury and sweet pies in no time.
Wow your Thanksgiving guests with this simple recipe for home-made pie dough:
Basic Pie Dough
Makes 4 portions
5 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp salt
1½ cups lard, chilled and cubed
¾ cup unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
1 cup (240 mL) ice water
1 tsp (5 mL) vinegar
1. In a large bowl, combine the flour and the salt. Add lard and butter.
2. Using a pastry blender, cut in the lard and butter until it resembles coarse meal. It’s okay to have pea-sized bits and some larger pieces of fat remaining.
3. Gradually stir in the ice water and vinegar until the dough comes together. I like to use a wooden spoon for this.
4. Transfer to a floured work surface and, using your hands, fold the dough into itself until the flour is fully incorporated into the fat. The dough should come together easily but should not feel overly sticky.
5. Form into a ball, divide into quarters, then flatten each into a 2 cm disk and wrap tightly in plastic wrap.
6. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
Don’t miss this fantastic recipe for Salted Caramel Apple Pie