Photo and recipe by Dan Clapson
4 skin-on chicken thighs
2 tsp sesame oil
1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon gochujang*
4 cups (1 L) pork broth
2 cups (500 mL) water
8 shishito peppers*
½ cup thinly sliced garlic scapes
1 Tbs (15 mL) rice wine vinegar
1 Tbs (15 mL) sriracha
2 tsp (10 mL) soy sauce
½ teaspoon freshly ground szechuan peppercorns
1 cup Korean rice cakes
1 cup thinly sliced cucumber
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375º F. Place chicken thighs into a prepared baking dish and roast until completely cooked through and the skin has turned golden and crispy, about 22-25 minutes.
- Once cooked, remove from oven and let cool slightly before removing the meat. Discard the bones and skin (or eat the skin, delicious!).
- Heat sesame oil in a medium pot on medium-high heat. Add in the sliced onion and gochujang and cook for 5 minutes.
- Next, pour the broth and water into the pot and let come to a boil. Place the next 6 ingredients into the pot, reduce to medium heat and let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add cooked chicken meat, rice cakes and cucumber to the pot and cook until the cakes are tender, about 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.
*These items can be found at any Asian specialty market, as well as some Superstore locations.