Recipe by Dan Clapson.
This soup recipe uses eggs yolks to bring out the richness of the other ingredients.
2 avocados, seed removed, fleshed out
2 ½ cups (600 mL) half and half
2 shallots, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeno, diced
2 ½ cups (600 mL) vegetable stock
2 tsp chili flakes
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp (5 mL) lemon juice
2 tsp lemon zest
2 egg yolks
1 cup good quality cooked crab meat
2 tsp (10 mL) white wine vinegar
1 tsp lemon zest
To taste, salt and pepper
- Place avocado flesh, cream, shallots, garlic and jalapeno into a blender and puree until very smooth.
- Transfer to a medium pot, add the stock and spices, and bring to a simmer on medium-high heat. Let cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- After 30 minutes, reduce to low heat and add the lemon juice and zest to the soup and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, and temper them with several spoonfuls of the hot soup. Stirring quickly, pour the tempered yolks into the pot. The soup should thicken slightly. Remove from heat completely and cover to keep hot.
- Right before serving, toss crab together with vinegar, zest, salt and pepper. Ladle soup into bowls and top with a couple generous spoonfuls of crab meat.
Right before serving, toss crab together with vinegar, zest, salt and pepper. Ladle soup into bowls and top with a couple generous spoonfuls of crab meat.