Photo by Natalie Findlay
1 cup (250 mL) whipping cream
4 large egg yolks
½ cup (125 mL) fresh lemon juice
1½ lemons, zested
500g mixed berries, blueberries, raspberries and strawberries
1/3 cup (65 mL) fresh lemon juice
15g icing sugar
- Line 9x5x3” loaf pan with plastic wrap, leaving a generous overhang.
- Using electric mixer, beat whipping cream and icing sugar in large bowl until soft peaks form. Refrigerate.
- Whisk egg yolks, sugar and lemon juice in a medium metal bowl. Set bowl over a pot of simmering water and whisk (with a wire balloon whisk or a hand mixer) constantly until yolk mixture is thick and fluffy and an instant-read thermometer inserted into mixture registers 170° F, about 4 minutes.
- Remove bowl from pot of simmering water. Using wire whisk or electric mixer, beat mixture until cool, thick, and doubled in volume, about 6 minutes. Fold in chilled whipped cream. Pour mixture into prepared loaf pan and smooth top.
- Tap loaf pan lightly on work surface to remove air pockets, then fold plastic wrap overhang over top to cover. Freeze semifreddo until firm, at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Two or three hours prior to serving, add berries to a medium bowl (slice strawberries as desired) and add icing sugar and 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice. Let sit until ready to serve, stirring occasionally.
- Unfold plastic wrap from semifreddo and invert onto dessert platter. Remove remaining plastic wrap. Dip a large knife into hot water; cut semifreddo crosswise into thick slices. Transfer to plates and spoon berries alongside.