Recipe and photo by Dan Clapson
This bisque is simple, but when you’re working with lobster (or essence of lobster in this case), you don’t want to overpower its distinct flavour with a pile of other ingredients.
5 roasted red peppers (4 whole, 1 thinly sliced)
1 cup (240 mL) heavy cream
1 small bulb fennel, halved, thinly sliced and fennel fronds reserved
4 cups (1 L) lobster stock (available at most food specialty stores)
1 cup (240 mL) vegetable stock
1 Tbs (15 mL) white wine vinegar
½ tsp saffron
To taste salt and pepper
- Place 4 whole peppers and cream into a blender and puree until very smooth.
- Pour into a medium pot along with stocks and bring to a simmer on medium-high heat.
- Add-in sliced fennel (keep fronds aside), vinegar and saffron, reduce to medium heat and let simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Season to taste, add the fennel fronds and sliced roasted pepper to the pot and let cook for a few more minutes.
- Ladle out and serve with crostini or toasted bread for dipping.