I can't help but to bring dessert to a potluck, especially during the holidays. These chocolate haystacks are a family favourite that I've been eating for as long as I can remember. They are the perfect chocolatey bite for after a gut-busting holiday meal.
1½ cup rolled oats (make sure they are non-contaminated)
¾ cup brown sugar
3 Tbs cocoa powder
¼ cup (60 mL) coconut oil
2 Tbs (30 mL) water
½ tsp (2.5 mL) vanilla
- Measure out oats and put them in a bowl. Line a cookie sheet with parchment or wax paper.
- In a small saucepan, combine the brown sugar and cocoa. Stir to get rid of any noticeable lumps.
- Add the coconut oil and water. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Once it reaches a rolling boil, let it boil for a minute or so before removing from the heat and stirring in vanilla.
- Pour the hot sugar/cocoa/oil mixture over the rolled oats and stir to combine.
- Dollop the mixture onto your lined cookie sheet. Let the haystacks cool to room temperature, as this will allow them to harden into a cohesive mound. You can speed up the process by popping them in the freezer for a couple of minutes.
- Store in an airtight container either at room temperature or in the fridge. If you end up stacking them, separate the layers with parchment to prevent them from sticking. Enjoy!