Briggs Kitchen + Bar's Mushroom Devilled Eggs are a long-time staple on their menu – and for good reason – they’re very popular. We’ve talked about them before, and when they appeared on our front cover last month, it reminded some of you to ask for the recipe. Many thanks to Chef Xavier Lacaze for sharing it with us!
If there’s a dish in a local restaurant that you’d love to know how to make, let us know at culinairemagazine.ca/contact-us, and we’ll do our very best to track it down for you!
12 eggs, hard-boiled
275 g white mushrooms, sliced
2 Tbs (30 mL) olive oil
2 Tbs (28 g) chopped shallots
2 Tbs (28 g) unsalted butter
12 egg yolks
2/3 cup (160 mL) mayo
3 Tbs (45 mL) Dijon mustard
12 thin slices chorizo, to garnish
To taste salt and pepper
Parsley, chopped, to garnish
- Place eggs in a large pot in one layer and cover with cold water, and bring to a boil. Boil for nine minutes and refresh under cold water until the eggs are completely chilled
- Wash and roughly slice the mushrooms. Peel and chop the shallots into five mm dice
- Heat oil in a large frying pan. Add mushrooms and shallots and season generously. Cook one minute on high heat, then add cubed butter. Cook for another minute and cool down on a tray
- Peel the eggs under cold water with a strainer (to keep the shells from plugging the sink), and cut them in half lengthwise. Scoop out the egg yolks and set the whites aside in the cooler until needed
- Using a food processor, mix together the egg yolks and now cold mushrooms until smooth. Add the mayo and Dijon and mix again until smooth. Check and adjust seasoning. Transfer into a piping bag tied at the top and keep cold
- Cut chorizo slices in half, and in a frying pan, dry fry with no oil until crispy
- Before serving, lightly season each egg white and stuff them up to one cm over. Garnish each with a chorizo crisp, and sprinkle with chopped parsley
Briggs smokes their mushrooms in their Josper oven (an indoor charcoal barbeque), so the mushrooms have a smoky flavour. Chef Lacaze says if you’re at Briggs eating his devilled eggs ask, and if available, he’ll give you some smoked mushrooms to take home!