Off the Menu: Sidewalk Citizen’s Sweet Scones
We have received several requests for Sidewalk Citizen’s scones, they’re a staple at not only Sidewalk’s own cafés in Kensington, Calgary’s East Village, and the new restaurant location in Calgary’s Memorial Park, but available at Blush Lane and many other eateries too.
We can’t thank Aviv and Michal Fried enough for letting us have this recipe, and we’re intrigued to find out if they’re as good when you make them at home as they are when Sidewalk Citizen make them!
I’ll take Sidewalk Citizen’s any day over my own attempts!
4 cups organic white flour
½ cup sugar
1 Tbs. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
110 g cold butter cut into small cubes
½ cup chocolate chips
½ cup apple cut into small pieces
¾ cup (180 mL) cream
¼ cup (60 mL) milk
Icing sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350º F
- Mix all the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt) in a bowl.
- Cut the butter to pea size pieces and add to the bowl. Add the chocolate and the apples to the bowl as well.
- In a separate bowl mix together cream and milk and add to the dry ingredients. Mix it all together with a spoon just until all the dry flour is mixed. Try not to over mix it.
- Using your hands form loose balls about 180 g each and place them on a baking sheet covered with baking paper. Try to keep the balls as loose as possible while still maintaining their shape. You might have to adjust the mix by adding a bit more cream or flour.
- Place in the oven and bake until ready, about 20 minutes, when the scones are light brown.
- Let cool on a cooling rack. You can sprinkle icing sugar on top.