Easter weekend is an exciting weekend. The Easter bunny has sprinkled chocolate eggs around the house and yard. The warmer weather has started moving in, and it’s time for the first big, yummy, family gathering of the year.
Want to spend more time enjoying the weekend and less time slaving over the stove? These quick and easy to prepare sides dishes will not disappoint.
This is a great complement to brunch as well as dinner and lunch.
2 cups (500 mL) milk
½ clove garlic, peeled and crushed
3 sprigs thyme
2 bay leaves
2 sprigs parsley
¾ tsp salt
2 Tbs butter
2 Tbs flour
3 Tbs (45 mL) olive oil
1½ cups (100 g) mixed mushrooms, cleaned and thinly sliced
4 large (1 Kg) white onions, thinly sliced
1 tsp salt
1 Tbs (15 mL) brandy
¼ cup (60 mL) beef stock (can use vegetable stock)
3 Tbs (45 mL) fromage fraîche
- Preheat oven to 375º F.
- Add oil to a deep pot, over medium heat. Add mushrooms and onions and cook for 2 minutes.
- Cover pot and let cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add brandy and stock and cook 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add the béchamel sauce to the onion and mushroom mixture and combine. Stir in the fromage fraîche.
- Pour into a 23 cm (9” tart) shell. Bake 25 minutes.