Recipe courtesy of Chef Pat Gallo at Prego Cucina Italiana.
Paste e Fagioli (Pasta and Beans)
1 can Borlotti beans or Cannellini beans
6 Tbs olive oil
2-4 garlic cloves
1-2 rosemary sprigs
1L chicken or vegetable stock
1 peperoncino red chili pepper, chopped (optional)
1-2 Tbs tomato puree
salt and pepper
150g-200g Ditalini or Tubetti pasta (little tubes), cooked
4 Tbs extra virgin olive oil, to serve
- Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven or large saucepan on medium to low heat.
- Add the garlic. Slowly saute until opaque (1-2 mins). Add the rosemary and saute for another 30-45 seconds, then add the peperoncino if you are using it.
- Turn the heat to medium and add the tomato puree, stock and beans. Stir and reduce for 1-2 minutes.
- Stir the cooked pasta into the sauce and taste, adding salt and pepper as necessary.
- Ladle into bowls. Garnish with a sprig of rosemary and drizzle with olive oil.