½ cup + 2 Tbs softened butter
½ cup + 2 Tbs icing sugar
1 egg yolk
½ tsp vanilla
1¾ cups pastry flour
250 g cream cheese, softened
1 cup brown sugar
7 egg yolks
1 cup (250 mL) pumpkin puree (canned is ideal because it has less moisture than if you make your own)
¼ tsp cinnamon
2 Tbs (30 mL) Cognac, optional
- Sift the icing sugar into the butter and cream them together until smooth. Add the egg yolk and vanilla, mixing until combined. Finally, sift in the flour.
- Once it is fully incorporated, wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate it (shape it into a log, it will be easier to slice and roll later). It needs a good hour or so to chill, otherwise it will be too soft to work with.
- After the dough has firmed up, you can slice it into 8 portions and roll each out to between 3 - 6 mm thick. Press the dough into each tart shell and prick the bottoms with a fork. Chill for 10 to 15 minutes in the freezer. Bake at 325º F for about 15-18 minutes. Cool completely prior to filling.
- Blend everything using a hand mixer or food processor until smooth. Fill the cooled tart shells and bake at 325º F for 18-20 minutes or until the filling has set. Cool before removing the tartlets from the molds. Refrigerate if not serving immediately.
- Before serving, sprinkle the tops with sugar and brulée with a blowtorch until the sugar has melted and turned a deep, golden brown.