3 medium to large beets
2 cloves garlic, skin on
2 Tbs fresh tarragon, minced
1 tsp (5 mL) Dijon mustard
1 Tbs (15 mL) red wine vinegar
2 Tbs (30 mL) olive oil
5-7 large radishes, thinly sliced
1 cup (240 g) ricotta cheese (homemade or store bought)
¼ cup blue cheese, crumbled
1 baguette, sliced on the bias into 1 cm pieces
Olive oil, as needed
To taste salt and pepper
- Heat your oven to 350º F.
- Wrap the beets in tin foil, skin on, along with the garlic, and roast for about an hour. Let them cool slightly before peeling and cutting into a small dice.
- Whisk together the roasted garlic, tarragon, Dijon mustard, red wine vinegar and olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add in the roasted, diced beets and stir to combine. Check again for seasoning, adding more salt and pepper as needed. Set aside. The beets can be made ahead of time to let them marinate before serving.
- Blend together the ricotta and blue cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Drizzle the sliced baguette with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Bake until crisp, about 10-15 minutes.
- To serve, smear about 1 Tbs of the ricotta blue cheese mix on a piece of baguette. Top with a spoonful of beets. Shingle 3-5 slices of radish on top to garnish. Repeat with the remaining baguette.