Recipe courtesy of Catherine Auger
For those busy weeknights when you are short on time but still want a healthy and savoury dinner, try Catherine Auger’s roasted squash and lentil salad!
1½ tsp cumin seeds
1 Kg butternut squash, peeled and diced
1 parsnip, peeled, halved lengthwise and sliced
2 medium white onions, coarsely chopped
1½ tsp ground cardamom
1 tsp freshly grated ginger
Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
¼ cup (60 mL) extra virgin olive oil
¼ cup green lentils
1 cup (240mL) low sodium vegetable broth
1 bay leaf
½ cup hazelnuts, coarsely chopped
½ cup cilantro, coarsely chopped
2 Tbs (30 mL) apple cider vinegar
2 cups of arugula, or any other hearty green
To taste salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 425º F. In a small skillet, toast cumin seeds over medium heat until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Transfer to spice (or coffee) grinder, and grind finely.
- On a large baking sheet, toss butternut squash with parsnip, onions, cumin, cardamom, ginger, nutmeg and 2 Tbs (30 mL) olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Roast for 25 to 30 minutes, stirring once or twice, or until vegetables are tender and lightly browned.
- In a small saucepan, combine lentils with broth and bay leaf, and bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer on low heat and cook until tender, roughly 25 minutes. Discard bay leaf and any excess liquid. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, whisk cilantro with remaining 2 Tbs olive oil and apple cider vinegar. Season to taste.
- During the last few minutes of roasting, add hazelnuts to the oven on a small pie plate and toast until fragrant, 5 to 7 minutes.
- In a large bowl, toss roasted vegetables with lentils, walnuts, greens and dressing.