Recipe by Renee Kohlman
3 large ripe tomatoes, cored
1 large red bell pepper
2 Tbs (30 mL) plus 1⁄3 cup (80 mL) extra virgin olive oil
5 large cloves garlic
½ cup blanched slivered almonds
2 cm piece crusty bread, cut into 2 cm cubes
2 Tbs (30 mL) red wine vinegar
2 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 375º F.
- In a shallow baking dish, add the tomatoes, whole bell pepper and garlic cloves. Drizzle with 2 Tbs (30 mL) olive oil and place in oven.
- Roast for 90 minutes, turning occasionally. Remove garlic once it isgolden brown, about 45 minutes. When tomatoes and pepper are well roasted and caramelized (note: some blackened bits are okay) remove from oven and let cool.
- When cool enough to handle, peel and discard skins, add peeled vegetable to food processor.
- Meanwhile, place bread cubes and almonds on a baking sheet and roast for about 8 minutes, stirring often. Nuts should be fragrant and bread lightly browned. Remove from oven and let cool. Then, place in the food processor too.
- Add red wine vinegar, smoked paprika and sea salt. With motor running, pour in olive oil and process until smooth, yet with some coarse bits
- of nuts remaining.
- Adjust seasonings with more salt, vinegar and smoked paprika, to taste. Place in a bowl and drizzle with a bit more olive oil.
*Keeps well in refrigerator for up to 5 days. Serve with grilled vegetables recipe.
Substitute all peppers for the tomatoes, or half peppers and tomatoes, or all tomatoes. Substitute sherry vinegar for the red wine vinegar. Substitute hazelnuts for the almonds. Substitute dried ancho chilli for the smoked paprika.