7 large apples (combination of Granny Smith and Golden Delicious) peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
½ cup granulated sugar
¼ cup all-purpose flour
¼ cup (60 mL) fresh lemon juice
2 tsp grated lemon zest
1½ tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp ground cloves
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
½ cup (120 mL) salted caramel
2 portions basic pie dough
1 egg, beaten with 1 Tbs water to make egg wash
- Combine all of the filling ingredients together in a large bowl. Toss gently.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 30 cm circle. Turn dough a quarter turn after every few rolls until you have two 30 cm diameter circles.
- Carefully place one portion into a 9 x 2” pie dish. Tuck it in with your fingers, making sure it is smooth. With a sharp knife, trim the extra overhang of crust a little.
- Fill pie crust with apple filling, brush dough edges with egg wash, and top with second dough portion. Press together gently with fingers, and trim any excess dough from edges.
- Preheat the oven to 400º F. Place the pie on a baking sheet and bake in the centre of the oven for 20 minutes, then reduce the heat to 375º F and bake another 40-50 minutes until the pie is golden (note: if crust is getting too dark, cover sides with aluminum foil).
- Remove from the oven and let cool on a wire rack for 3 hours. Serve with extra salted caramel sauce and vanilla ice cream.