Recipe and Photo by of Dan Clapson
1 butternut squash, halved, seeds removed
2 Tbs (30 mL) Three Farmers camelina oil
1 Tbs (15 mL) canola oil
2 Italian sausages, casings removed, 1 cm sliced
1 330 mL bottle beer, good quality lager or pilsner
1 yellow onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
3 cups (720 mL) crushed tomatoes
3 cups (720 mL) vegetable broth
2 Tbs (30 mL) half and half
1 cup fresh green beans, 1 cm sliced
2 tsp (10 mL) liquid honey
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp dried oregano
salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400º F. Place squash on baking sheet, drizzle with camelina oil and bake until tender, approximately 18-20 minutes.
- Next, heat canola oil in a large pot on medium-high heat and cook the sausage until browned and completely cooked through, about 3-4 minutes. Transfer to paper towel to absorb excess grease and set aside for now.
- Add a splash of beer to the pot to deglaze, followed by the onion and garlic. Cook until softened.
- Pour remaining beer into pot, along with tomatoes, broth and cream. Let come to boil, reduce to medium heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Once squash is done roasting, scoop out flesh into pot and use an immersion blender to puree the mixture until it’s very smooth. If it’s too thick, add a little extra broth to thin out to desired consistency.
- Return cooked sausage to pot, as well as green beans and remaining spices. Let simmer for 20 minutes and season to taste with salt and pepper before serving.