Easter weekend is an exciting weekend. The Easter bunny has sprinkled chocolate eggs around the house and yard. The warmer weather has started moving in, and it’s time for the first big, yummy, family gathering of the year.
Want to spend more time enjoying the weekend and less time slaving over the stove? These quick and easy to prepare sides dishes will not disappoint.
2 Tbs (30 mL) olive oil
½ tsp fennel seeds
½ tsp caraway seeds
½ cup (65 g) white onion, peeled and thinly sliced
¼ small savoy cabbage, cored and thinly sliced
1 medium carrot, peeled and grated
1 medium apple, cored and grated
¼ cup (60 mL) vegetable stock
1 Tbs (15 mL) apple cider vinegar
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
2 sprigs parsley leaves, finely chopped
- Add oil to a medium sauté pan over medium heat. Add fennel and caraway seeds and toast 1 minute.
- 2. Add onion and cook 5 minutes.
- 3. Add cabbage and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 4. Add carrot, apple, vegetable stock, and apple cider vinegar, let cook 5 minutes.
- 5. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with parsley to serve.
Take it into summer: no cooking required. This recipe can translate to a summer coleslaw by replacing the white onion with red onion and removing the vegetable stock. For the dressing, combine the toasted fennel and caraway seeds, olive oil and apple cider vinegar, salt and pepper, along with mayonnaise, and whisk. Add to the thinly sliced cabbage, carrot, apple, red onion and parsley, and mix well.