Recipe by Chef James Waters, Diner Deluxe
Corned Beef Brine
8 cups (2 L) water
140 g kosher salt
110 g garlic
69 g brown sugar
30 g pickling spice
Sirloin Brisket Patty
1.3 kg beef sirloin
900 g beef brisket
8 cups (2 L) corned beef brine
4 Tbs smoked paprika
To taste salt
To taste fresh cracked pepper
- Mince the garlic, then add all the ingredients to a saucepot and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and let cool. Reserve brine for the beef brisket.
- Cut beef into small cubes of meat so the beef can marinate faster.
- Brine the brisket in the corn beef brine for one week. To brine the brisket, simply submerge the beef in the brine, cover and refrigerate. (This step is optional.)
- If you brine, on day five, dry rub the sirloin with smoked paprika, seal in a ziplock bag, and refrigerate for the last two days.
- Once the two meats are ready, either grind the meat yourself or have your neighbourhood butcher do it for you.
- Mix the meat evenly and season with the salt and pepper. Make a small test patty to test seasoning is correct.
- Form the patties to approximately five-ounce patties to make an even 16 patties.
- Wrap them into packs of four and freeze what you will not be eating.