Recipe courtesy chef Andrew Tsang
15 mL paprika
10 mL dried oregano
salt and black pepper to taste
2 whole sardines, scaled and gutted
250 mL shredded smoked salmon
125 mL cup of pitted olives, sliced
3 cloves garlic, crushed
5 mL crushed red pepper flakes
500 mL uncooked short-grain white rice
1 pinch saffron threads
1 bay leaf
1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
1.25 L chicken stock
2 lemons, zested
125 mL Smoked Salmon Vodka
30 mL olive oil
1 Spanish onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
50 g pancetta, jullienne
450 g mussels, scrubbed and bearded
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet or paella pan over medium high heat and brown pancetta.
- Stir in onions, garlic, bell peppers, red pepper flakes, olives, paprika, dried oregano and rice. Stir to coat the rice, about 3 minutes.
- Add Smoked Salmon Vodka to deglaze.
- Stir in saffron threads, chicken stock, lemon zest, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Place sardines on top, and set mussels around the edge of the pan, sprinkle smoked salmon all over.
- Place pan into the oven at 450ºF and bake for 15-20 minutes until rice is cooked.
- Remove paella from oven and sprinkle with cilantro.