Photo by Dan Clapson
8 cups (2 L) water
2 Tbs (30 mL) red miso paste
1 lemon, juiced
1 Tbs (15 mL) soy sauce
¼ cup dried wakame seaweed
½ block smoked tofu, diced
2 carrots, matchsticked
2 small turnips, peeled and matchsticked
2 king oyster mushrooms, very thinly sliced
1 Tbs (15 mL) sriracha
2 tsp (10 mL) rice wine vinegar
1 tsp chili flakes
1 tsp ground black pepper
6 cups (1.5 L) hot water
4 packs ramen noodles
- Place water and miso paste in a medium pot on medium-high heat and stir until miso dissolves.
- Add the next 4 ingredients; reduce to medium and let cook for 15 minutes.
- Next, add sliced vegetables and remaining spices to the broth and cook until carrots and turnips are tender, about 10-12 minutes.
- Place ramen noodles in 4 separate bowls, pour equal amounts of hot water into each bowl and let sit for 3-5 minutes for noodles to soften. Strain off liquid once softened.
- Ladle miso soup over top of noodles in each bowl and serve.