Recipe by Stuart Leduc of 80th & Ivy, photo by Ingrid Kuenzel
1.3 Kg whole red skin sweet potatoes (yams), not peeled
250 g unsalted butter
1 orange, zested
1 Tbs (15 mL) lemon juice
1 Tbs ginger powder
1 Tbs all spice
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
¼ cup light brown sugar
To taste salt and pepper
- Prick the potatoes with a fork to help with roasting. Drizzle the sweet potatoes with olive oil and season with salt and pepper, wrap with tin foil individually.
- Place on a baking sheet and put in a preheated 350˚ F oven until extremely soft. This could take up to 2 hours depending on the size of the sweet potatoes.
- While the potatoes are hot, remove the skin, it should peel off like wrapping paper.
- Place the sweet potatoes in the food processor with the butter. If you don’t have a food processor, push the roasted yams through a strainer using a rubber spatula, then fold in the butter.
- Stir in the spices, orange zest and lemon juice, and season well.