Easter weekend is an exciting weekend. The Easter bunny has sprinkled chocolate eggs around the house and yard. The warmer weather has started moving in, and it’s time for the first big, yummy, family gathering of the year.
Want to spend more time enjoying the weekend and less time slaving over the stove? These quick and easy to prepare sides dishes will not disappoint.
1 Tbs + 2 tsp (25 g) butter, softened
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
3 sprigs thyme
2 bay leaves
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
¼ cup (60 mL) white wine
½ cup (125 mL) cream
4 sage leaves, finely chopped
400 g (2 small) sweet potatoes
50 g cheese, grated
1½ Tbs butter, cut into small cubes
¼ cup panko or breadcrumbs
1 green onion, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Coat a 15 x 22 cm serving dish (6” x 9”) with 2 tsp softened butter and set aside.
- Add 1 Tbs butter to a small pot over medium heat. Add garlic, thyme, bay leaves, salt and pepper; cook 3 minutes.
- Add wine and reduce by half, around 2 minutes. Add cream and simmer 15 minutes. Take off heat and remove thyme and bay leaves. Add sage.
- Peel sweet potatoes and thinly slice with the mandolin.
- Layer into dish 1/3 sweet potato, 1/3 cream mixture, and 1/3 cheese, and repeat until all are finished. Cover dish with foil and bake 30 minutes.
- Remove foil, add breadcrumbs and cubes of butter. Bake another 10 - 15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and top with green onions.
Note: The sweet potato filling shrinks when it cooks.