5 long English cucumbers, washed and sliced
2 yellow onions, peeled and julienned
3 Tbs Kosher salt
3 cups (750 mL) cider vinegar
215 g sugar
2 Tbs mustard seeds
2 bay leaves
¼ tsp turmeric
½ tsp coriander seed
1 Tbs chili flakes
- Combine sliced cucumbers, onion and salt in a non-reactive bowl, gently mixing by hand to ensure the cucumbers are coated in salt. Let stand for 3 hours in the fridge.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a pot and bring to a boil to dissolve the sugar.
- Drain the liquid from the cucumbers and onions, check to see if they are too salty. If so, rinse in cold water.
- Place the cucumbers and onion in your sterilized canning jars and pour the hot pickling liquid over them, keeping in mind the 1 cm headspace.
- Place on sterilized lids and seal until fingertip tight.
- Boil in a canner or steam for 20 minutes, remove, set upright, and allow to cool undisturbed for at least 24 hours.
- Check the seals and store in a cool, dry place. If they don’t seal properly, store them in the fridge.