1 can (300 mL) sweetened condensed milk
1 cup unsalted butter
2 cups brown sugar
1 cup (250 mL) white corn syrup
2/3 cup sugar
¼ cup butter, softened
1 egg yolk
2 Tbs (30 mL) milk
1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder
¼ tsp salt
2 egg whites
1¼ cup pecans, chopped
- In a heavy-bottom pot, combine caramel ingredients on medium heat until they reached 230º F. Set aside to cool.
- In a stand mixer, beat sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Add egg yolk, milk, and vanilla, and mix until combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl with a spatula.
- Sift together flour, cocoa powder, and salt. Add to butter mixture and mix until all flour is absorbed, taking care not to overmix the dough.
- Chill cookie dough in fridge for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350º F, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In small bowl, whisk egg whites, and place chopped pecans in a shallow dish.
- Remove dough from fridge, scoop dough into tablespoon-sized balls, rolling them round with hands. Dip rolled dough in egg whites and then the chopped pecans. Place dough balls on sheet and gently press down in the centre of each ball with thumb.
- Bake cookies for 10-12 minutes. Let cool slightly and then re-indent your thumbprint to make a well for the caramel. Fill each indent with caramel, and drizzle with melted chocolate.