3 cups medium grain rice, cooked according to package instructions
3 Tbs (45 mL) neutral oil
2 cups mixed herbs, being mindful of each herb’s strength, eg. parsley, oregano, dill, mint, chives, scallion, basil, or cilantro
½ cup (120 mL) red wine vinegar
1 Tbs (15 mL) local maple syrup or local honey
2 cloves of garlic
1 Tbs salt, add more to taste
½ cup (120 mL) neutral oil
½ cup (120 mL) olive oil
2 Tbs (30 mL) lemon juice to taste
To taste salt
Choose your favourite vegetables from the farmers market and cut to bite-sized pieces. Rosewood use cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, pickled carrots, radish and house made chili oil. Feel free to top it with an egg, a nice local sausage or bacon.
- Rinse the rice. Using a pot or a rice cooker, cook the rice according to package instructions until just done, let cool.
- Chop herbs into rough pieces. Place them in a blender with the vinegar, maple syrup/honey, garlic and salt. Start to blend while pouring in oil at a slow stream. Once smooth, check for balance of sweetness, saltiness, and acidity to your preference.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan on medium heat. Add oil and then 1-2 cups of the cooked rice, depending on the size of the pan (it’s important not to crowd the pan). Flatten the rice with a spatula and fry without stirring until golden brown. Warm the rice through then put into a bowl. Repeat this method for the remainder of rice.
- Add verde sauce ¼ cup (60 mL) at a time proportionate to the amount of rice. Continue tasting and mixing. The rice should be a deep green colour but not too loose or wet. Finish by seasoning with lemon juice and salt to your taste. It should be very vibrant and strongly seasoned to contrast with the freshness of your toppings.
- Place the rice in the bottom of a platter or bowl, then arrange your toppings on top and serve.