Photo by Natalie Findlay
3 medium zucchini, cut in half lengthwise
7 cloves garlic, roasted
1 Tbs (15 mL) lemon juice
1 Tbs (15 mL) olive oil
40 g pine nuts, toasted
1 lemon, zested
To Taste sea salt and pepper
Garnish parsley, finely chopped
Garnish chilli flakes (optional)
- Cover a baking sheet with foil. Place zucchini and garlic on foil, and season with salt and pepper. Drizzle with olive oil.
- Roast the zucchini for 1 hour, the garlic may take 10 minutes longer. Remove tray from the oven and let rest until cool enough to handle.
- Scoop out the roasted zucchini flesh and set in a strainer placed above a bowl, so the zucchini can drain off its extra liquid (about 15-20 minutes). Squeeze out any remaining liquid.
- Place zucchini in a medium bowl along with the roasted garlic, and mash with a fork. Season with more salt, pepper and/or roasted garlic, to taste.
- Place in serving bowl and top with olive oil, lemon zest, parsley and pine nuts. Serve with your favourite crackers or bread.
Note: this would also make a tasty and healthy spread for sandwiches.